Do you care about climate change and its impact on water? Do you have a passion to write? If yes, then, Nextblue is your platform.
Nextblue publishes constructive water and climate-related stories from a unique and local perspective. We invite you to join us in our mission, to initiate objective dialogues with your stories, so as to spur people to take action and make the world better.
Mail us your story idea in not more than 350 words to [email protected] Please note that we are not looking for fiction or event reports.
Make sure you include the following in your mail:
- Which region will you be reporting from?
- What will your story be about?
- Will your story be of interest to an international audience?
- Will your story be an opinion piece, an interview, a deep dive into an issue or a photo essay?
- If it is a feature, you need to quote a minimum of one subject matter specialist and two people from the region of your report.
- Will you provide photos for your story? How do you plan to source photos?
- How long will it take for you to complete the story after we accept your idea?
- A brief bio about yourself.
We will review your proposal and if we are interested we will contact you within 10 days. If you do not here from us in the said time period, you can publish your story elsewhere. An experienced editor-in-chief guides you to structure the story so that it can be published on Nextblue.
- Opinion pieces and photo essays are 600-800 words; features and interviews are of 1,200 words. We are not rigid about the word count.
- Your article should establish why it is important to communities in the heart of delta regions around the world. The take-away from your story should be clear: it could be a solution that could be replicated or adapted, or it could be a problem to be avoided.
- Get your facts right: the names of people and places, any data, quotes, etc.
- Ensure that your story is balanced. Often there are two opposing views. Present both views by quoting people / experts as the story demands. Stay objective.
- Use active voice.
- Our audience is a mix of professionals and the common man, so to say. Use simple language.
- We are not an academic journal. So do not use foot notes or in-text citations. When you refer to reports or relevant news, please hyperlink them.
- Briefly explain people. Not everyone knows who “professor Nguyen” is. It is easier to understand if you write “Nguyen, professor of water management at Vietnam University”.
- Please send photos as separate attachments, properly numbered. Do not paste them in the text file of your story.
- Please include captions to photos at the end of your story, as numbered. And photographer’s name.
You should be open to your write-up being edited. We will contact you for clarifications and re-writes, if necessary.
Three examples of stories that we find interesting
- Re-greening through the inclusion of farmers and communities in Tanzania. A solution-oriented story on inclusiveness and re-greening that inspires communities around the world to hope and take action.
- Vanishing People. This photo essay shows the impact of coastal erosion and sea-level rise in Bangladesh from an anthropological perspective. It makes the audience feel like they are part of the story.
- Mekong’s women and water. This personal story supports gender equality in the water sector. We are interested in stories that highlight social injustice and gender equality related to water and climate change challenges.
Engage with our audience
We are committed to sparking debates. Get involved in discussions when your story is shared on social media platforms after publication.
Apart from stories, we offer you a chance to speak your experiences in the form of a podcast. We also encourage you to attend a Q&A in Twitter spaces, where we engage with a larger audience in social media. We would also carry your Q&A in our bi-weekly newsletter, giving you the space you deserve.
As a start-up, we believe in sharing knowledge and stories for free, unfortunately we are not in a position to compensate contributors. Our editorial team simply helps you to create a unique story and amplify your voice.